EFFECTIVE EMAIL MARKETING AND THE ART OF UNIQUE, EYE-CATCHING DESIGN
Email marketing can be a powerful and captivating marketing tool. When done right. Or it can be a total waste if you end up in the spam or junk folder or in the trash.
Prospects and customers get inundated with marketing messages and information all day every day. You better believe they get overwhelmed with email. In order to be seen, your message has to stand out. You only have one shot to capture the interest of your prospect. You have a mere fraction of a second to grab their attention as they glance through their inbox. It’s not difficult, but there is an art to getting it right.
From our experience, there are four keys to effective email marketing:
- Accurate, actionable contact data
- Unique, eye-catching design,
- Killer copy,
- Compelling call-to-action.
That’s why we’ve created a four-part series on Effective Email Marketing. This is the third article in the series, providing easily digestible chunks of useful information in four easy steps.
THE ART OF UNIQUE, EYE-CATCHING DESIGN
You only get one chance to make a first impression. The goal of email marketing is to get the prospect to open the email, engage with your brand and, ultimately, connect with and buy from you. In order to do that, it must rise above the clutter with unique, eye-catching design.
You’ve got the right data as the foundation. You’re attracting attention with your headline. You’ve written engaging and persuasive copy. But did you know that your HTML design can destroy the effectiveness of your campaign?
- Stand out. Choose a unique, attention-grabbing image to help convey your message. Be creative. Don’t play it safe. Take a risk. Don’t go for the obvious. Blaze a new trail. Don’t go for the same, industry-standard images that show up on your competitor’s emails or web pages. Make it stand out. Make sure that when they preview the email in their inbox, it makes them do a double take because it’s so different. Don’t make it product-focused. They won’t care about that. Appeal to your prospect’s emotions. Show a sense of humor with the image you select.
We’ve created A TON of email marketing campaigns for clients. Let’s learn from some of the campaigns that DON’T perform. In the past, some of our clients were really afraid to venture outside the box with their email marketing, despite expert direction from us. They put the kabosh on our creativity and design process, opting for standard (bland), run-of-the-mill (boring) HTML design. In our experience, these barely even get opened. The numbers never lie. We often have to educate our clients on this and nudge them out of their comfort zone a little bit. As long as our clients use The Launchpad data and we know the data is in order first, we generate the most opens and the most click-through rates with unique, distinctive, edgy designs. Attention-grabbing designs that don’t look like everything else out there.
One of our best performing campaigns was a vampire themed campaign centered around data storage for a technology client. Now, most typical data storage email marketing campaigns feature an image of the technology product and perhaps a business-related graphic. Our target audience, IT decision makers, are so used to seeing that stuff that response rates are low when we develop campaigns that stay “in-the-box.” However, when we launched a campaign with an edgy vampire image and the header “NAS Storage – More painful than ever,” our target audience took notice. Open rates were the highest we had ever seen. Click-through rates, too. Prospects completed the call to action in droves. In the end, it yielded more leads. Isn’t that what marketing is all about?!
- Design for readability. Be generous with white space. Break up your content with white space, call out quotes, relevant images or design elements. Don’t over-design. Keep it simple. Increase your font size for optimum readability.
If you need some help with inspiring, eye-catching creative and captivating copy that cuts through the clutter and gets noticed, The Launchpad can help. Or if you’re ready to buy data, you can schedule a demo.
Click here to schedule an intro call or demo to learn more: https://calendly.com/launchpaddata